Here’s What Happened to the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence
- Richard Stockton was taken prisoner for signing the Declaration and imprisoned in New York City’s infamous Provost Jail.
- John Witherspoon saw his eldest son, James, killed during the Battle of Germantown.
- A number of signers saw their homes and property taken, looted, and destroyed by the British.
- Philip Livingston sacrificed what was left of his wealth to support the war effort and likely died penniless.
- Abraham Clark saw two of his sons captured by the British and incarcerated on the prison ship Jersey, with little hope of surviving.
- Francis Lewis’ estate was raided by the British and his wife was taken prisoner.
- John Hart’s farm was also raided and he spent time surviving in the woods.
Think about everything you own and your personal relationships and imagine losing most, if not all, of them. That is the sacrifice these men had to take in the defense of liberty.
And now many Americans are completely clueless about the American Revolution and why we celebrate Independence Day: