Skip to content

22 Year Old with Food Allergy Gets Arrested for Cannabis Possession and Dies After One Night in Jail

October 20, 2012

A 22-year-old man with severe food allergies died in a Washington state jail after turning himself in on a pot charge, and now his mother and her attorney will encourage the prosecutor’s office to file involuntary manslaughter charges against jail workers who could have prevented his death.

The Herald newspaper of Everett and KIRO-TV of Seattle report that Michael Saffioti died a day after turning himself in on July 2.

Saffioti’s mother, Rose Saffioti, says her son brought along a bag of medications needed to control his allergies and asthma, and he had expected to be placed in the jail’s medical unit.

Instead, he was placed in the general population and his special needs were ignored.

Rose says she has spoken with other inmates who were there and they told her that Michael couldn’t breathe after eating oatmeal,and then he begged for help but was accused of faking it and ignored by prison workers.

And now… the rest of the story. …..

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: