Skip to content

Trans-Texas Corridor plans dropped after public outcry (or … Repackaging of the SOS!)

January 8, 2009
1/6/2009
Houston Chronicle

[Ed. note — Thanks Hoot!]

nafta-super-highway“The Trans-Texas Corridor, as a single-project concept, is not the choice of Texans, so we decided to put the name to rest,” said Amadeo Saenz Jr., executive director of the Texas Department of Transportation, at the agency’s annual Texas Transportation Forum in Austin. “To be clear, the Trans-Texas Corridor as it is known, no longer exists.”

The state will move forward with a series of individual projects that had been considered part of the Trans-Texas Corridor plan, he said. Among those is the Interstate 69 project, which, as proposed, would run from Texarkana to Laredo or the Rio Grande Valley.

Rep. Lois Kolkhorst, R-Brenham, said she wants to make sure TxDOT is doing more than just changing the name of the project.

“Is this an admission of error or a strategic maneuver to repackage?” she asked. “Unfortunately, there is a distrust of the department.”

Kolkhorst said she wants to make sure the state retains ownership of new tollways so the revenue can be invested in more roads instead of “allowing the profits to go off potentially to other countries to investors.”

For the rest of the story …..

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: